Monday, August 6, 2012

Hola familia y amigos!

Kevin aqui! I´m writing from an internet cafe in Antigua, Guatemala, where I´ve been for just under a week. That´s right, I didn´t die on the trip. I know a lot of you were concerned. So was I. In fact, I did spend the night overnight in a really cold section of the Mexico City airport without a jacket (because I was silly and checked both of mine), and woke up with a cough, but luckily an actual cold never developed and I made it out safely.
Anyway, I´ve successfully been here since last Tuesday, and during the past six days have learned a lot about Guatemala. Since I only have five minutes before I run out of time at the cafe, I´m going to make a list:
1) Guatemala drivers are ridiculous.
2) The entire dealio with the streets is ridiculous... nobody listens to any of the rules of the road... if there even are any?
3) I´m really good at darting across streets rapidly between cars now. I´ll need to remember that´s not how it works in the US.
4) My Spanish needs some work.
5) My Spanish is improving.
6) As far as I can tell, none of the channels down here showed the US Women´s futbol team winning an epic semifinal against Canada. I had to find out from das Internet.
7) Monterrico (The land of rich weeds) is a spectacular black sand beach only two hours away from Antigua, and I very much enjoyed a weekend there.
8) Shoot... I´m running out of time... what else? My host family is awesome! Okay, I´ll add more later. Bye!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Sounds like fun. Except for the darting between cars part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, and you think I'm a crazy driver. I'd like to try out my skills in Guatemala! The womens soccer game was exciting but I was more impressed with Mexico's win over Brazil!

    Mira ambos lados antes de cruzar la calle!

    ReplyDelete