Monday, December 22, 2014

Breakfast the first day back, by the numbers

 Breakfast

1 Bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds (w/out almonds wasn´t an option)
1 Bean and Cheese Taco from Taco Cabana (¡Two years in Honduras and I still can´t make tortillas as good as theirs!)
2 Slices of Peanut Butter Bread (creamy, cause I missed the crunchy in the cabinet)
1/2 Of the Remaining Trail Mix (I might be lying about this one... I also seem to recall eating trail mix for dinner)
1 Package of Peanut Butter Crackers (6 mini-sandwiches)
2 Chewy Chips Ahoy Cookies (with Reese's)
2 Glasses of Milk (Somehow I´d forgotten how cold milk was in the fridge, so I managed to get brainfreeze while finishing the second glass)
1 Large Helping of Cheez-its (I had to remind myself that I might want to eat more later in order to avoid finishing the box)
3 Packages of Quaker Oatmeal (peach-flavored... cause we didn't have any banana, strawberry, or blueberry)

Lunch
1 Plate of Karenni Food (Courtesy of Karenni refugees, with whom my parents work), including:
 - 1 large heaping of rice
 - 1 unidentified type of meat (not because it was unidentifiable, but because I failed to inquire)
 - 1 section of potatoes (which in retrospect I think were in the same dish as the meat)
1 Bowl of Karenni Salad (which very nearly killed me... you gotta watch out for the picante-ness of some Karenni dishes (although in everyone else´s defense, about four people warned me about the salad beforehand))
1 Bottle of Water (sadly, there was no milk available)
1 Cup of Lemonade (which did more to help than the water, but not much more)




Afternoon:
1 Headache From Excessive Sugar Intake (turns out even Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds will do that to me these days... imagine what would´ve happened if there hadn´t been almonds!)



Aside: You are upset with me about the "Lunch" category. Just admit it. I included breakfast in the title and therefore led you to believe I was only going to be talking about breakfast. My sincerest apologies. My sister said it was worth mentioning, given that lunch happened approximately 20 minutes after breakfast. This, of course, begs the question, "Why didn't you merely change the title of the blog post?"
I do not have a satisfactory answer for you.

1 comment:

  1. Your aside hit me right in the ego. Because I was thinking all of those things while reading. And now I feel very chastised and put into my place.

    The fact that you can write a list about breakfast and lunch foods that is more interesting and funny than everything else I will read today (through its own merit, not the failing of my other literature) is both amazing and terrifying. You should be a novelist. I feel like even if you wrote about something completely inane and boring - trees, for instance - it would be a gripping story.

    Welcome back to the United States, Kevin! Your service is an inspiration. May your Tacos Cabana be plentiful and your Sonic Shakes runneth over.

    ReplyDelete